Get involved with your watershed. Check out our M.A.R.S. program for chance to help!
This presentation will give you the bear bones info you'll want to know about counting beaver activity in your watershed (Rocky Mountain Region)
go in the field. This pdf file has some area maps and zone descriptions about the zones that you'll be counting.
1. We are supposed to form our own teams--is that correct? I think I have three other people who want to join me.
ANS. Yes. They will have to be trained, however. Also, you will want to arrange transportation. If they are in your pod, you may car-pool. Otherwise, you will want to arrange separate rides.
2. There will be online training?
ANS Yes. I will be working with ISU students to get on-line trainings up and going. Check out the website for more info.
3. Anyone who is new needs to do a physical assessmentat the TRAINING.
4. Is there also a separate self-assessment?
ANS. No. Not at this time. The physical assessment is important. You must appreciate the physical demands required for even the simple zones.
5.Is that also when we can pick up equipment/materials?.
ANS. We will have logsheets, maps, and gift cards available for ISU students.
6. Do we pick our own day/time to do the BeaverCount during the week after training?
ANS. Yes. Just pick your date and time and respond by email to email@example.com
IMPORTANT! You must text 208-232-0825 both when you LEAVE town and when you RETIRN
7. Are you assigning where we do our count?
ANS. Zones will be on a first come, first serve basis, with up to three teams per zone allowed.
8. How/when will we get that info?
ANS. You may select your zone by number or give a general description of that zone as soon as possible.
Beaver Solutions' Mike Callahan from Massachusetts that has installed hundreds of BeaverDecivers and Pond Levelers
Beavers, Wetlands and Wildlife is a great resource if you are interested in learning more about beaver and some of the ongoing work in the field
Worth a Dam was founded by Heidi Perryman who advocates for beaver in the Golden State